St. John Lodge No. 18:

Free & Accepted Masons of Nevada

in Pioche


282 Lacour Street    ◊    P.O. Box 356 

Pioche, Nevada 89043


Welcome!

The Lodge meets the second Saturday of every month

at 11 am.


https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417231048527674/1579938102256967/?comment_id=1579956212255156&notif_t=group_comment

Freemasonry in the West:

YouTube Video







History of the Lodge:

Masonic Lodge Pioche, NV

YouTube Video

As far back as 1870, we are told, a Masonic association existed in Pioche, organized not only to dispense relief and aid all worthy distressed Master Masons, but to assist in preserving law and order in the town.  Bro. Thompson of St. John

Lodge in that time states, "How conditions have changed since the time every member of the lodge, from the
Worshipful Master to the Tyler, carried a gun, and knew how to use it". 

With lawlessness prevalent in the town and district, the brethren who were residents decided to create a Masonic lodge in their midst. Accordingly, a request for dispensation was sent to the Grand Lodge to organize a lodge. Officers of the lodge were:

A. A. Young, W. M., with E. Lane, S. W., J. F. Gray, J. W., J. R. Shaw, Secty., Alex Brown, Treas., Nye Churchman, S. D., R. McAlpine, J. D., A. M. Plyyeys and Geo. Buckner, Stewards, and J. H. Smith, Tyler.   On November 20th, 1873 St. John Lodge No. 18 became a member of the constituent lodges of Nevada.  The names of thirty-five Master Masons appeared on the charter.

With the decline of the mining industry in Pioche, St. John Lodge was moved to Delamar, Nevada, for a short time, but returned just five years later.  Pioche began to evidence new life and the lodge took up quarters in its original home. 

The membership of St. John has been fairly uniform in numbers since its organization. Its charter list, as has been indicated, numbered thirty-five; it has never fallen below that number in the sixty years and more of its existence. It has always functioned well, preserving Masonic peace and harmony. In the selection of its members it has been careful and cautious, quality and not quantity have been stressed in the selection of members, and as a result a splendid membership is enrolled upon its roster.

The Lodge building is a historical landmark of the town. 

It is currently going through major renovations, including new dressing rooms, bathrooms, a dining area and a kitchen.  Updating the upstairs lodge meeting room is also underway.

Excerpts from Torrence’s History, Edited by Bro. A. Jamison